My wins/fails with everyday household cooking - including experiments with Sous Vide and the occasional fling with Crockpot and stove.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Simple Sous Vide Chicken Dinner

It seems like this new appliance will help save a lot of hands-on kitchen time and cleanup.  We don't have a dishwasher, so a big pile of dishes on a Friday night is not something that we want to mess with.  And while I really like to cook, after working all day I don't want to always be stuck having to keep an eye on things while they cook. So far, so good.  Last night was very easy.

After getting home from work, I vacuumed some chicken breasts into pouches with a sprinkle of Penzey's Northwoods Fire seasoning.  The sous vide got set at 145 and then B-Hubz (smile) and I left for the climbing gym.  By the time we got back - tired and ravenous, we had some good climbs! - the chicken had cooked for a little over 2 hours.

I preheated one of those George Foreman-style indoor grills, and started water boiling to cook frozen peapods.  The chicken was grilled for a few minutes to color.  The veggies were drained, buttered, and salted.  Dinner done!


The lighting in the photo is a little weird, but the chicken was amazing.  The texture was great - very juicy, firm, and evenly cooked.

Verdict - Next time - extra spice.  I was worried about over doing it but a little more would have been just fine.  Also I don't think I'm going to bother finishing a dish on the indoor grill again.  It didn't get hot enough to really sear to get the grill marks that I was going for.   A smoking hot skillet is the best way to go.  At least until I get a blowtorch.  :)

1 comment:

b. said...

When she says the texture on the chicken was 'great', what she means is 'just about perfect'. I'll admit I wasn't sold on this thing completely until we cooked chicken. I always over cook it, so i was very happy for her when it came out so good on her first try.

Go sweetie!

One Blowtorch, coming right up! but only if I get to use it as well.....

mwuhahahahahahahaha...

I mean ... nothing!!
*throws down flash pellet*
*disappears in cloud of smoke*